I’ll try to keep this short. Here’s an update on what we’ve been working hard on.
New Versions of the App for Mac and Windows
Please go grab the latest versions of the app. https://hubstaff.com/download (in order to notice the improvements you have to be operating on the new apps)
Performance Increases Complete
Hubstaff is growing quickly, which has caused a few hiccups. We understand that Hubstaff is mission critical software for lots of companies and realize the frustration this has caused some of our users. Reliability and performance are some of our top priorities.
In our last email we laid out a plan for improving the reliability and performance of Hubstaff. For the last two weeks we have been hard at work implementing this plan. The final, biggest piece was rolled out last night.
Here’s what we did:
- Move API servers to a separate server cluster
- Upgrade to a shiny new database server that is much faster
- Upload screenshots directly to Amazon S3
Screenshot Quality Improved
We adopted a new algorithm for processing the screenshots. Now screenshots are so clear you can easily read the text in the large screenshots. Here’s a before and after comparison, which highlights the improvement (the thumbnails also look better).
From the Security Department
The Mac app is now being code signed. Mac users can now install the app with Gatekeeper on.
A Word on Crashes & Hangs
We want you to know that we do receive error reports when your app crashes or you have to close it because it became unresponsive. In fact, these reports are emailed directly to every member of our development team. We comb through the log files and try to diagnosis what went wrong and fix it. While we have fixed several of the causes for these crashes there are still more we need to resolve. This is our main focus, stay tuned…
- Auto-updates in the apps is almost done (No more having to manually download the latest version of Hubstaff and clicking through the installer)
- Team Payments is finished about to enter testing
- Mac timer widget
This is your chance to let us know what’s working well or not well for you. What would you most like to see added to the app? Is there any way we could make things easier or better?
Latest posts by Jared Brown (see all)
- Open Letter to the USPTO - August 14, 2014
- How to Invite Your Clients into Hubstaff to View Screenshots and Reports - May 23, 2014
- Survey Results: How Many Developers Write Unit Tests? - March 3, 2014