Upwork is a great online platform for finding talented freelancers worldwide. Employers who are familiar with the platform understand the importance of the Upwork time tracker in keeping track of the working hours of their freelancers (employees).
However, there are some setbacks when it comes to the system’s timer, which is why we compiled a list of the best Upwork time tracker alternatives to help you get the freelancer information and working relationships you want.
The problem with the Upwork time tracker
Not all employers are satisfied with the Upwork time tracker. Companies may feel as if the tracker doesn’t give them complete control over the activities and working hours of their employees. One common problem is the impression that workers track more time than what they actually spend working. There are also situations where people complain that their work has not been tracked due to network connection problems or other internet-related issues.
Plus there are fees. If, for instance, you allocate $30,000 per year to projects, you’re handing $1,500 to Upwork just for the sake of using the platform.
This list of the best time tracking alternatives will help you remain in charge of your business-related projects and activities – without the extra costs.
We are proud to introduce you to Hubstaff, our software solution for all your time management and project management goals. By choosing Hubstaff, you are investing in software that will increase the productivity of your employees in the long run without costing you a fortune (which cannot be said for many other time tracking alternatives).
Hubstaff offers a plethora of features that make time-tracking and project management a breeze:
- Available for Windows, Mac and Linux
- Automatic payroll and weekly budgets
- Dedicated customer support
- Easy-to-use desktop application
- Online timesheets
- App and URL tracking
- Accurate information on activity levels, GPS and locations (iOS app)
- Detailed reports
- Integration with other time/project management software
We suggest that you start by registering for the free 14-day trial. Afterwards, you can choose from several pricing options that will best suit both your needs and the needs of your employees.
Free for 14 Days
Track Remote Time with Hubstaff
Free for 14 Days
HiveDesk is another good Upwork time tracker alternative for your business because it offers some great features;
- Simple project management – creation of unlimited projects and tasks for you and your team
- Visual productivity data – monitor the efficiency of each work session
- Simple check-in/check-out – easily switch between projects
In addition to monitoring how long your employees have been working on a project, HiveDesk shows when they were last online. Just like Hubstaff, HiveDesk takes screenshots of the employees’ work, so you may find out if certain members of your team are not dedicated to the task at hand.
HiveDesk is easy to use and comes with excellent customer support. You can try it out for 14 days, free of charge.
Harvest is another popular tool for time tracking. A lot of employers rely on this Upwork time tracker alternative thanks to the following reasons:
- Simple project management – make everything employee-friendly and precise, so your employees can start working right away
- Integration with other popular apps – QuickBooks, Salesforce, Basecamp, to name just a few
- Detailed time-sheets – know what exactly your employees are doing
If you are running a business that includes managing multiple projects with different contributors, rates, and tasks, Harvest may just be the right choice for you. It has affordable pricing options, and you can even use it for free with limited features.
Paymo is regarded as one of the most affordable time tracking options. Some of the features Paymo offers are:
- Goal calendar – set priorities to your projects
- Desktop monitoring – keep track of the programs your employees use
- Client portal – allow your clients to access their invoices
Even though it’s cheaper than many other apps, Paymo can meet most of your time and project management needs. It is available on all devices running Windows or Mac, and it’s very easy to use. Also, it allows employees to work offline by downloading the desktop app.
While Toggl doesn’t include some of the premium time tracking features that other apps have, it is still popular among both employers and employees (freelancers). With Toggl, you get features such as:
- The Chrome extension – start tracking right away using Google’s web browser
- Workspaces – create a workspace and allocate projects, teams, features and time entries to it
- Desktop monitoring – complete monitoring of your team’s activities
If you own a small business, consider giving Toggl a try (for free) as its pricing options are quite modest. Also, you can download the Toggl mobile app and manage projects on the go.
Klok is a time-tracking app that can be used on all Windows or Mac devices. Its main features include:
- Integration with other productivity solutions – Harvest, Basecamp, Paymo, FreshBooks and Asana
- Team connector – synchronize projects, tasks and clients across your organization
- Team console – allow several users to track/monitor the same projects
- Calendar view
Klok gives you flexible project hierarchies, meaning you can create and modify projects according to your personal needs. With Klok, project management is relatively simple – you can save a project as soon as it’s finished and reopen it whenever you like.
Over to you
Did we miss any good alternatives for the Upwork timer? Let us know in the comments below!
If you enjoyed this post, you may want to check out how one company saved 30% on contractor fees by switching away from Upwork, the five freelancers to avoid when hiring on Upwork, or some tips for success when hiring freelance talent.