The mobile workforce phenomenon is on the rise. According to a new Global Mobile Workforce forecast, the mobile workforce is set to increase from 1.52 billion in 2017 to 1.88 billion in 2023. That’s a jump from mobile workers accounting for 39.3% of the global workforce to 43.3%.Track time on-the-go with these 5 time tracking apps with GPS Click To Tweet
Looking at these trends, it is evident that companies would not only want to track their employees’ work time but also the location of their field team and time spent at each of those locations. Knowing all this would allow them to get a better picture of how productive their workforce is overall.
If you’re looking to get started with mobile work tracking or want a better app than what you’re currently using, check out the five best GPS time clock apps for iPhone, which do exactly that and even more.
Hubstaff is an iPhone GPS time clock app that allows your team to track their hours and locations when they’re on the road, at a client or job site, or anywhere out of the office. The iOS app offers accurate time tracking, automatic payroll, in-depth reporting, and streamlined invoicing capabilities. Hubstaff, being a multi-platform solution, is also web-based and available for download as a Mac, Windows, and Linux desktop app.
What sets Hubstaff apart from other GPS tracking apps for iPhone is its geofencing capabilities. You can create an unlimited number of job sites for your team, and set time tracking to start and stop as they arrive or leave. Or, you can send reminders as someone arrives or leaves so that starting the timer is up to them. At any time, you can see where your team is in a map view, see routes taken by each person, and get detailed reports that outline hours spent at each location or in transit. Finally, geofencing works with Hubstaff’s scheduling features to alert you if a shift is missed or started late based on GPS location.
With all of these features in mind, you might not expect Hubstaff to be the extremely lightweight app that it is — using less than 30 MB of device storage. It runs in the background, consuming minimal battery power so you can continue using your phone for other tasks. With the Hubstaff iPhone app, you get a real-time, bird’s eye view of your workforce. Hubstaff’s wide range of capabilities make it the ideal productivity app that will help you and your team make the most out of your time.
- Simple time tracking: Tracking work hours is easy, in-depth, and consumes minimal battery power. Accurate down to the second.
- Precise GPS location monitoring: See where your team has worked throughout the day. Perfect for mobile and remote teams.
- Geofencing: Create job sites and customize settings so team members are alerted, or time tracking starts and stops automatically as they enter or leave a work location.
- Project budgeting: Control over-spend within your projects with weekly budgets.
- Automatic payroll: Take the hassle out of payroll with our flexible payment integrations. Choose a rate (hourly or fixed), pay period and method of payment and let the rest happen automatically. Hubstaff supports leading payment platforms like PayPal, Payoneer, and Transferwise.
- Easy-to-use client invoicing: Easily generate invoices based on hours worked and set bill rates. View the payment statuses of your clients and monitor your cash flow with ease.
- Powerful integrations: Integrates with over 30 other products (and growing) including leading platforms like Quickbooks, Asana, Trello, and Basecamp.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later
Size: 24 MB
iPhone time tracking for mobile teams
Hubstaff is completely free for 14 days
Replicon is an employee GPS tracking app for iPhone. It helps users to track time and expense-related information quickly from anywhere when they’re on-the-go. The Replicon Mobile app integrates seamlessly with it’s own cloud-based time tracking and expense management solution. Replicon doesn’t have a real-time GPS feature, but it can record the location where time was entered.
- Time tracking on-the-go: Get easy access to timesheets anytime, anywhere and quickly enter time.
- Seamless access to project data: Time data gets automatically allocated to the projects and helps you stay on top of the project status.
- Time off management: End users can easily submit their time off requests after choosing the desired time off type.
- Streamlined approvals: Supervisors can quickly view employee hours and approve their timesheets, time off, and expenses of their teams.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 11.0 or later
Size: 111.1 MB
TimeStation is a time card app for iPhone that functions very similar to traditional paper time cards. Employees can punch in by scanning a printout, or a 4-digit PIN if the card isn’t available—all from the convenience of their mobile devices.
- Clock in and out: Highly secure clocking in and out with personalized cards or PIN entry.
- Track location: GPS location tagging tracks where team members have logged in.
- Reports: Detailed online reports for managers which can be exported as spreadsheets.
- Mobile app: Easy to use and cloud-based; no installation or maintenance expenses necessary.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later
Size: 5.5 MB
HoursTracker is a good app for freelancers and workers who charge by the hour. You can easily record time using timers, with support for breaks and pauses. It also allows for many customizations across its features and has a web-based reporting system that includes charts, graphs, and desktop exports.
- Built-in reports: View by day, week, and month; support for common pay period schedules.
- Location tracking: Set job locations and get reminders when you arrive or leave. Or, fully automate your time tracking (geofencing).
- Expense reporting: Track your pay, including Tips, Mileage, and flexible ± time and earnings adjustments.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 9.3 or later
Size: 18 MB
EPAY is a simple employee time clock iPhone app that allows teams to effortlessly clock in and out anywhere, including for lunch breaks. While more suited for office setups, EPAY can acquire location data via GPS, and check if the team members are clocking in at designated work areas.
- Clock in and out of work: By a simple press of a button on your mobile device.
- Time off requests: Keep track for employees as well as checking of remaining PTO balances.
- Approvals: Supervisors can check and approve employee time punches.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 8.0 or later
Size: 82.1 MB
What are your favorite iPhone apps for mobile workforce management?
Whether you’re leading a mobile team or are working in a traditional office setup, the apps above will serve your time tracking needs, with the added feature of location tracking. Do you use any of the apps we mentioned, or did we miss a great app that gets the job done for you? Tell us what you think in the comments below.
This post was originally posted February 2016, and updated February 2019.