Basecamp is a powerful project management tool that allows companies to consolidate a variety of processes. It maintains task lists, houses discussion threads, tracks statuses, and produces detailed reports. And while Basecamp is a near-perfect project management solution, it lacks one important capability: it doesn’t have a time-tracking feature.
Time tracking is important for businesses of all types. For agencies that use tracked time to pay contractors and invoice clients, accurate time tracking is crucial to profitability. But even for non-agency businesses, time-tracking is important for measuring productivity, prioritizing tasks, and determining ROI.
Hubstaff offers a solution for time-tracking in Basecamp. Click To Tweet
Hubstaff offers a solution for time-tracking in Basecamp.
Hubstaff’s time-tracking tool runs on employee computers throughout the day, allowing them to initiate the time tracker when beginning work on a project or task, pause time-tracking during breaks, and attribute all hours worked directly to the project/task they’re working on.
Hubstaff integrates seamlessly with all versions of Basecamp—Classic, 2, and 3—providing companies will a full-service solution for both time-tracking and project management.
Benefits of the Hubstaff and Basecamp integration
Hubstaff is a time-tracking tool that acts as a stopwatch, allowing employees to track the hours they work towards tasks and projects down to the second.
Hubstaff’s desktop application runs on employee computers all day and displays every project and task employees are assigned to. They simply select the appropriate project and task, and click a button to start, pause, or stop tracking time.
As employees track their time, the system collects the recorded information, populating detailed reports for managers and administrators on the exact number of hours employees work, as well as how many of those hours were spent on different tasks and projects.
With the Basecamp integration, Hubstaff pulls projects and tasks created in Basecamp, and populates them in each employee’s Hubstaff application. This eliminates the need to create duplicate tasks in both systems—all tasks are automatically pulled from Basecamp—and allows the exact time spent on tasks to be recorded in both systems.
Businesses that have integrated Hubstaff and Basecamp enjoy many benefits:
- Accurate Invoicing – Whether you’re paying employee invoices or creating invoices for clients, detailed reports on hours spent on specific projects and tasks ensure you’re always paying and requesting the right amount of money.
- Time Savings – Avoid having to replicate projects and tasks across two separate systems with automatic population of Basecamp tasks in Hubstaff’s time tracking tool.
- Increased Productivity and Profitability – Monitor how much time is spent on specific tasks to identify tasks with a negative ROI. Compare time billed towards tasks between different employees to identify less productive employees and discover training opportunities. And monitor idle and wasted time by reviewing screenshots automatically captured by Hubstaff throughout the day.
These features allow businesses to track hours worked at a granular level and access timesheet reports in both systems. This enables leaders and project managers to keep a close eye on the progress and cost of different projects and initiatives, regardless of which system they’re using.
Step-by-step instructions for integrating Hubstaff and Basecamp
Follow these step-by-step instructions to integrate Hubstaff and Basecamp:
1. Sign in to Hubstaff.
2. From your Hubstaff dashboard, click “Integrations” in the left navigation menu.
3. Click the appropriate Basecamp logo in the list of integrations, depending on whether you’re using Basecamp Classic, Basecamp 2, or Basecamp 3.
4. Give your integration an identifiable name, and click the “Create Integration” button.
5. Sign in to Basecamp using your Basecamp username and password or Google account.
6. Authorize the connection between Basecamp and Hubstaff by clicking the “Yes, I’ll allow access” button.
7. Use the dropdown to select the Basecamp account you want to link with Hubstaff, and save your changes.
8. Select the projects you want to sync to Basecamp by clicking the “Link projects” button.
9. Link each project in Basecamp to the respective project in Hubstaff, and save your changes when finished.
10. Select the users you want to sync to Basecamp by clicking the “Link users” button.
11. Choose which Hubstaff users should be notified to accept the integration, or use the “Select All” feature to notify all Hubstaff users. Click “Notify” to send an email to selected users.
12. Users will receive an email requesting confirmation of the connection between Basecamp and Hubstaff. They must click on the link in the email to connect the two systems for their user accounts.
13. After following the link in the email, users need to confirm the integration by giving Hubstaff permission to connect to their Basecamp account.
Once all users have confirmed the integration, they’ll be able to log time directly to Basecamp tasks and projects using the Hubstaff application.
Note: If you make changes in Basecamp immediately after setting up the connection between the two systems, you may need to reauthenticate the connection to ensure information is up-to-date in Hubstaff.
Using Hubstaff to track time against Basecamp tasks
Users can now use Hubstaff to track their time against tasks in Basecamp. After selecting a project in the Hubstaff desktop application, users will see a list of tasks that have been assigned to them in Basecamp. They just need to select the project, select the task, and press the start button to track their time towards that task.
Users can also mark Basecamp tasks as complete directly from the Hubstaff desktop application. Once they’ve stopped tracking time towards a task and have completed the task, they can click the “Complete” button in Hubstaff to close the task out in Basecamp.
Time tracked toward Basecamp tasks appear in Hubstaff reports, and the time users spend on tasks is also available for review in Basecamp.
After adding new tasks in Basecamp, it can take approximately five minutes for those tasks to display in Hubstaff. Users should click the refresh icon in the desktop app to sync new tasks.
Additionally, each time you add a new project or user to Basecamp, the integration needs be refreshed in Hubstaff for those changes to take effect:
1. From the “Integrations” page in Hubstaff, click the “Actions” dropdown, and select “Reauthenticate.” Follow the prompts to reauthenticate the connection and refresh project/user information in Hubstaff.
2. After reauthenticating, you’ll be redirected to the Basecamp integration settings page. Use the “Link projects” button to connect new Basecamp projects to Hubstaff projects, and use the “Link users” button to link new user Basecamp and Hubstaff accounts.
New users must click the link in the email from Hubstaff to establish the connection between their Basecamp and Hubstaff accounts, and then refresh their desktop Hubstaff application to sync Basecamp tasks to their Hubstaff projects.
Enjoying the benefits of Hubstaff + Basecamp
Businesses that are already using Basecamp to manage projects enjoy many benefits after integrating the platform with Hubstaff, including access to detailed timesheets, accurate invoicing both from employees and to clients, and an overall increase in company productivity and profitability.
Hubstaff is the perfect solution for Basecamp’s lack of a time-tracking tool. Integrate the two tools, and enjoy your newfound ability to connect detailed time reports to individual Basecamp tasks.
Have you integrated Hubstaff and Basecamp? What other benefits did you discover? Let us know in the comments below!