QuickBooks Online allows small businesses to manage expenses, complete payroll, and track revenue. Hubstaff allows small businesses to automatically track how many hours employees devote to both general business tasks and client projects. Integrating Hubstaff and Quickbooks provides small businesses with a full-service solution for timesheets, billing, invoicing, and balancing operational costs and revenue.
While QuickBooks Online has options for entering employee hours and time devoted to projects—necessary capabilities for payroll and invoicing—the process is manual. Accountants, bookkeepers, or payroll staff must transcribe hour entries manually from one system to another.
Like all manual data-entry tasks, this method is prone to error, and errors in payments and revenue can be devastating.
Hubstaff transfers employee timesheets to QuickBooks Online automatically using an API, syncing tracked time from Hubstaff to QuickBooks every hour. It eliminates manual data entry tasks—freeing up accounting staff to focus on more important work.Hubstaff transfers employee timesheets to QuickBooks Online automatically using an API. Click To Tweet
Whether you’re already using both tools or you’re looking for a solution to the overhead of tracking time in QuickBooks Online, integrating these two tools leads to greater accuracy, reduced overhead, and fewer mistakes in payroll and invoicing—along with many other benefits.
Benefits of the Hubstaff + QuickBooks integration
Hubstaff is a time-tracking tool that enables businesses to automatically track the number of hours employees work and identify how many of those hours were spent on different projects.Hubstaff is a time-tracking tool that automatically tracks the number of hours employees work. Click To Tweet
After setting up an account and adding employers as users, employees can download Hubstaff’s desktop application to track their time. Team members select a project that they’re currently working on and activate time tracking. The system works with them throughout the day, capturing hours worked, identifying idle time, and collecting screenshots at random intervals for management review.
With the QuickBooks integration, Hubstaff’s API sends timesheet data to QuickBooks Online every hour of every day, so when accounting staff are ready to run their reports for payroll or client invoicing, the data they need to perform the task is already populated in the system, allocated appropriately and accurately.
Business who’ve integrated Hubstaff and QuickBooks Online enjoy many benefits:
- Data accuracy – Abandon mistake-prone manual data entry, and rest assured that payroll and client invoices are accurate with automatic data transferring between Hubstaff and QuickBooks.
- Save time – Accounting, payroll, bookkeeping, and HR staff can eliminate ongoing and time-consuming data entry tasks associated with payroll and client invoicing, allowing them to focus on more important work.
- Reduce operational costs – With accounting staff freed up to focus on more important tasks, you need fewer people to complete recurring run-the-business work.
Hubstaff also helps businesses manage and monitor employee productivity. It identifies when employees are idle, enabling managers to see when employees aren’t working. It also takes screenshots throughout the day and tracks time spent in apps and on websites so managers can monitor where employees are spending their time during the workday.
These features allow business to track—and only pay for—hours worked toward company and client tasks.
What to do before integrating Hubstaff and Quickbooks
Before setting up the QuickBooks and Hubstaff integration, there are a few important things to know.
First, this integration is only possible if you use QuickBooks Online Plus. The Plus plan is the only plan that supports tracking billable hours, and without this feature activated, QuickBooks will not accept API calls from the Hubstaff system.
Users of QuickBooks Self-Employed, Simple Start, and Essentials will need to upgrade to QuickBooks Online Plus for the Hubstaff integration to succeed.
Second, you must have time tracking enabled in QuickBooks Online Plus for QuickBooks to accept data from Hubstaff. To enable time tracking in QuickBooks or to validate that your system is set up correctly, follow these steps:
1. Log in to your QuickBooks Online Plus account.
2. From your QuickBooks dashboard, click the gear icon in the top-right corner of the page.
3. In the settings menu, click “Account and Settings.”
4. Click “Advanced” in the account and settings navigation menu, and then scroll down the page until you see the “Time tracking” section. Both entries in this section should be set to “On.” If they’re already set correctly, you’re ready to integrate. If either or both is set to “Off,” click the pencil icon to edit the settings.
5. Check the boxes next to “Add Service field to timesheets” and “Make Single-Time Activity Billable to Customer,” select the first day of your company’s work week from the dropdown, and save your changes.
6. From the settings page, click the “Done” button in the bottom-right corner to apply changes and return to your dashboard.
Finally, it’s important to note that QuickBooks only supports connecting one Hubstaff organization with one QuickBooks account. If you manage multiple organizations in Hubstaff, you’ll only be able to integrate one with QuickBooks Online because their system invalidates previous integrations when new authorizations are activated.
With accounts set up and time-tracking enabled in both Hubstaff and QuickBooks Online Plus, you’re ready to integrate.
Understand what to look for in job candidates.
Grab your FREE guide today. No email required.
Step-by-step instructions for integrating Hubstaff and QuickBooks Online Plus
Follow these step-by-step instructions to integrate Hubstaff and QuickBooks Online Plus:
1. Sign in to Hubstaff.
2. From your Hubstaff dashboard, click “Integrations” in the left navigation menu.
3. A list of integrations will display in alphabetical order. Scroll down until you see the QuickBooks logo, then click it.
4. Give your integration an identifiable name, and click the “Create Integration” button.
5. Sign in to QuickBooks using your QuickBooks username and password or Google account.
6. Authorize the connection between QuickBooks and Hubstaff by clicking the “Authorize” button.
7. Select the projects you want to sync to QuickBooks by clicking the “Link projects” button.
8. Link projects by connecting customers from QuickBooks to projects in Hubstaff, and save your changes when finished.
9. Select the users you want to sync to QuickBooks by clicking the “Link users” button.
10. Link users by connecting employees from QuickBooks to users in Hubstaff, and save your changes when finished.
Your QuickBooks integration is now complete!
Note: If you make changes in QuickBooks after setting up the connection between the two systems, you may need to reauthenticate the connection to ensure customer and employee lists are up-to-date in Hubstaff.
Grow your remote team, for free
Hubstaff Talent charges 0% fees!
Sending Hubstaff data to QuickBooks
The best part about integrating Hubstaff and QuickBooks is that the system does all of the work for you.
Once you’ve completed the integration, Hubstaff’s API will automatically export timesheet data for connected users and projects every hour. The exported time will display in your QuickBooks reports for time activity by customer and employee.
QuickBooks Online time activity by employee report:
Integrating Hubstaff with a desktop version of QuickBooks software
If instead of using QuickBooks Online you use a desktop copy of the software, you’ll need to take a different integration approach. Follow the step-by-step instructions in this video to integrate Hubstaff with your desktop QuickBooks software:
Enjoying the benefits of Hubstaff + QuickBooks
Small businesses who already use QuickBooks to manage company expenses, payroll, and invoicing benefit greatly from adopting Hubstaff and integrating the two systems for enhanced time-tracking and recording.
With Hubstaff and QuickBooks, you can save time by eliminating manual data-entry tasks, ensure payroll and invoices are correct with auto-populated timesheets, and enjoy improved employee productivity.
Have you integrated Hubstaff and QuickBooks? What other benefits did you discover? Let us know in the comments below!