Trello is a popular project management system used by freelancers and corporations alike. Part of the reason is because the Kanban methodology it’s based on is preferred by many to easily keep track of projects and create plans.
But just because it’s one of the most widely used apps doesn’t automatically make it your best option.
Trello is a great planning tool, especially for visual-oriented individuals, but it has some notable issues that several users experience:
- Limited functionality beyond task management
- Too cumbersome for intricate projects with too many sub-tasks and collaborators
- Too general for specialized industries
Also, Trello recently announced that free teams will need to upgrade to at least a Business account to use more than 10 open boards. In other words, you’ll have to pay for $12.50/month per user — previously $0 — if you have more than 10 projects. This is a big deal, especially for small businesses.
These reasons have led users to search for Trello alternatives that can provide them with a smooth project management experience that won’t cost too much. We’ve put together a list of 10 apps like Trello with their own unique features, plus brief descriptions of each and what types of teams they may work best for.
Take a look at our list and see if you can find the right alternative to Trello, most of them being for visual task management.
Reach your goals faster with time tracking and work management.
1. Hubstaff Tasks
Hubstaff Tasks is a Kanban tool, like Trello, that helps you effortlessly keep track of tasks, assign work to your teams, and maintain a workflow that’s efficient and easy to follow.
If you’re looking for a project management app that combines the best parts of Agile with automated processes, Hubstaff Tasks is the perfect solution for your team. Those looking for a Trello alternative will find Hubstaff Tasks compelling — and affordable.
You no longer have to worry about not being updated on the progress of your projects, or missing action items assigned to you.
Using the sprints feature, teams can focus on the highest priority tasks and get more done. Automated visual workflows move tasks through your defined process with the click of a button.
Each task has its own checklist, assignees, due dates, estimated hours, description, and comments. Everything you need to know about a project is connected to one task that’s easy to follow.
Hubstaff Tasks is ideal for those who like Kanban software similar to Trello. Its features and ease of use make it an excellent overall choice for all kinds of organizations, but especially those who are growing their team or business.
Hubstaff Tasks is perfect for remote teams since it allows them to track the progress of each task without needing to check in often. Hubstaff Tasks works seamlessly with Hubstaff, a time tracking, and team management solution. Both are designed to work together and can help you reach optimum productivity and profitability.
- Organize Kanban card tasks with a simple drag-and-drop mechanism
- Easily collaborate with teammates by tagging and assigning them
- Set sprint tasks and duration so that your team knows what’s on their plate
- Create checklists within tasks for more detailed progress tracking
- Quickly access notifications when anyone tags you or assigns you to a task
- Integrates with Hubstaff so you can accurately track the time you spend on projects
- All Hubstaff Tasks features are available for just $4/month per user when paid annually. It also has a free plan with limited storage for up to five team members.
- With these features and a low monthly rate, Hubstaff Tasks makes a great alternative for Agile project management
Kanbanize, as the name implies, is a Kanban software that’s designed to help your team maintain a stable flow of work and collaborate more smoothly. Kanbanize simplifies the process of organizing and prioritizing tasks, and has iOS and Android versions.
Kanbanize is suited for teams that handle a large number of projects. If your team relies quite heavily on communicating through emails, Kanbanize has an email integration feature that makes it ideal for you.
- Kanban board views and filters for detailed viewing
- Card templates for recurring tasks
- Reply to emails by commenting on cards or redirect emails to the app itself
- Prioritize the right tasks with Kanban card hierarchy
Kanbanize has very flexible plans, but here are the prices for the basic features based on the number of users:
- 1 to 15 users: $99/month
- 15 to 20 users: $129/month
- 20 to 25 users: $159/month
- 25 to 30 users: $199/month
- 30 to 40 users: $249/month
- 40 to 50 users: $299/month
- 50 to 75 users: $449/month
- 75 to 100 users: $529/month
If your team is composed of over 100 people, you’ll have to talk to their sales team.
MeisterTask is a cloud-based project management platform that makes use of Kanban boards to help your team accomplish tasks efficiently. MeisterTask ensures that you can accurately track the progress of your projects every step of the way. MeisterTask is supported on Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS.
Developers will find MeisterTask very helpful as Agile methodologies are implemented in the app. MeisterTask’s features make it a well-rounded choice for various industries. However, since these features are designed for seamless collaboration on a single platform, digital teams can benefit from them more.
- Easy-to-understand workflows
- Notes and attachments on Kanban cards for easy access
- Task relationships to help identify key tasks at the moment
- Workflow automations to help smooth out the flow of work
- Basic: Free to use. Unlimited projects, tasks, and dashboards.
- Pro: $8.25/user per month. Includes everything in the Basic plan, plus workflow automations, reports, and searchable task archives.
- Business: $20.75/user per month. Includes Pro plan features and more functionality like roles and permissions, and security restrictions.
- Enterprise/Custom: You’ll need to contact their sales team, and the pricing will depend on your business. Has all of the Business plan’s features as well as a dedicated account manager and personalized onboarding assistance.
Aha is a product roadmap software that works like a flow chart. You input goals and objectives that are linked to create a strategy for a project. Then you can visually see what’s required on the project to meet the end goal.
Aha! will work well for visual people. The app provides a workflow board for agile or scrum teams, status controls by feature, and requirement and release Gantt charts. It also integrates with Jira, which makes it useful if you’re working on projects with developers involved.
- Color-coded items
- Capture customer feedback within the system even if a customer is not an Aha! user
- Plans can be converted into charts for analysis
- Share plans or data via PDF, Intranet or web page
- Record notes from meetings and assign team members to action tasks
- Startup: Comes with the Premium plan’s features, but is limited to a total of five users. You’ll need to contact them to see if your company qualifies.
- Premium: $59/month per user. The Premium plan lets you set strategies, build roadmaps, plan releases, prioritize features, crowd-source ideas, and more.
- Enterprise: $99/month per product owner and contributor. This plan includes all the features of the Premium plan plus unlimited reviewers and viewers. Also, you only need to pay for product owners and contributors.
- Enterprise+: $149/month per product owner and contributor, but can only be billed annually. Enterprise+ contains more additions to the Enterprise plan, such as anti-virus scanning and financial planning.
Taskworld began in 2006 when Fred Mouawad was struggling to grow some of his companies. He wanted a solution to organize tasks; thus, Taskworld was born. This system is a collaboration and project management tool in one. It allows teams to focus on performance, track tasks, and add notes to these tasks. It comes with a visual dashboard and interactive timeline for planning projects from start to finish.
Developers or any other field where data needs to be tracked, interrupted, and acted upon. Taskworld is ideal for companies where team members are involved in several projects at one time and there is a lot of overlap.
- Create tasks, set due dates, and monitor progress with interactive boards
- Add multiple project locations within one task
- Drag and drop files in a message, comment or task
- Send messages and files to team members directly
- Progress bars to show how much of projects are completed
- Professional: $14.99/user per month. Unlimited tasks and guests, task followers, privacy settings, 100 GB of storage and more.
Workzone is an easy-to-use project management software that offers a great platform for document collaboration. You can use Workzone to organize projects by tasks, assign tasks, and notify team members when a task is due. Workzone creates notifications when tasks are overdue or when a project needs immediate attention.
Workzone is primarily aimed at teams in the healthcare, accounting, manufacturing, and real estate industries. It’s ideal for supporting internal departments because you can create separate workspaces for each group. It’s also perfect for companies or teams with a lot of similar projects because you have the ability to create templates.
- Dedicated project workspaces and personalized to-do lists
- Visualize where projects and tasks are in the process with Gantt Charts
- Combine separate team calendars into one master workflow item
- Share discussions and meeting notes to keep all team members informed
- Add project requests into one easy to use dashboard
Unlike the other tools in this list, Workzone does not have set prices for its plans. You will need to get in touch with them to schedule a demo and acquire pricing information.
- Team: For teams of five or more users. Comes with helpful features like unlimited project and task management, project templates, and unlimited workspaces.
- Professional: Almost the exact same as the Team plan, but with an additional 50 GB of storage and custom project intake forms. Good for medium-sized teams.
- Enterprise: Contains all of the features of the Professional plan, over 200 GB of storage, plus additional functionalities: single sign-on, API access, custom reporting, and more.
Kanban boards, visual workflows, sprints, and more
QuickBase is a cloud-based project management tool where users can collaborate with team members, clients, associates, and vendors. It’s highly customizable and promotes easy communication within a single platform.
This system works as a series of apps so it’s easy to customize for niche markets. It’s also great for companies who need to track and organize large amounts of customer information like healthcare companies or government organizations.
- Create custom roles and permissions so you can choose which team members see which tasks
- Manage multiple projects from one central location
- Sales apps provide tools for managing customer relationships
- Customer support apps help manage new contacts to convert to company relationships
- Advanced functionality apps create audit logs on an individual field
- Premier: $500 per month. The Premier plan lets you use up to 50 apps. Good for small and growing teams.
- Platform: $1600 per month. Starts at 40 users and up to 100 apps.
Roadmunk is a roadmap software designed for product development. However, it can also be used to manage projects from start to finish. You plot project tasks on a roadmap versus on a board like other project management systems. You can then take this roadmap and analyze the same data in different views. This system is extremely flexible and offers several roadmap templates to fit different needs or industries.
Great for product developers and for companies that have stakeholders or outside customers where you need buy-in.
- Choose from several different roadmap views
- Tailor your roadmap to any audience by creating custom visualizations
- Highlight achievements and/or dates by adding milestones
- Attach files easily to any roadmap for easy access
- Set three permission levels: owner, collaborator or reviewer
- Starter: $19/user per month. Unlimited roadmaps, milestones, and 1 GB of storage per account.
- Business: $49/user per month: Everything in the Starter plan plus Jira integration, custom color palettes, master roadmapping, and more.
- Professional: $99/user per month: Everything in the Business plan and additional features such as single sign-on integration, designated CSM, and complementary training and support.
- Enterprise: For pricing information, you’ll have to contact their sales team. Enterprise has everything in the Professional plan plus unlimited reviewers, custom terms and conditions, a dedicated server, and advanced customization.
Paymo is designed for helping teams collaborate. Its main features include timesheet management, project accounting, and support for managing projects from start to finish. Paymo lets you split projects into task lists and assign them to your employees or co-workers, keep the teams up-to-date with what’s happening through discussions, and create customizable static and live reports for tracking business performance.
Paymo works great for freelancers because of the ability to manage projects and invoices from one system. Plus, projects can be put on hold if waiting for feedback from a client before resuming. Paymo is supported on Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android.
- Store files for a project so the team can access them anytime throughout the project lifecycle
- Identify potential bottlenecks and how to reduce these per project
- Using milestones, you and your team know when major project stages are due to be completed
- Save projects as templates and use them when you need to create a similar project
- Available Gantt charts give you an overview of the start date, duration, and end date between tasks
- Free: Basic features like to-do lists and simple reporting for solo freelancers.
- Small Office: $11.95/month per user. Comes with upgraded versions of the Free plan’s features, advanced task management and reporting, and a dashboard for quick project views.
- Business: $18.95/month per user. The Business plan is ideal for large-sized teams. It has all the features of the Small Office plan, as well as resource scheduling, Gantt charts, unlimited storage, and more.
Try Hubstaff Tasks with Hubstaff for better productivity
Fusioo takes away the need for multiple tools to manage your team’s workflow. It’s an online database that helps you customize your workspace and manage the information that matters most. Some features include collecting, tracking, and managing customer data and customizing the application for a variety of purposes.
Fusioo is ideal for freelancers, consultants, professional service firms, start-ups, and small- to mid-sized companies. Its ease-of-use makes it reliable even for companies without IT staff.
- Application builder to define what’s needed to track and manage projects
- Simple interface for choosing fields for every project, task, ticket or any other type of record
- Internal teams, clients or external partners can view and comment on records for real-time communication and collaboration
- Set roles and permissions to protect data integrity
- Standard: $19/month per user Includes all the features.
- Enterprise: For more than 50 users. Contact them for more information.
What’s the best Trello alternative for you?
Trello is one of the most widely used Kanban-based project management apps out there, but it isn’t perfect.
Some are looking for alternatives with features not found in Trello, or with more reasonable prices. With this list of the best alternatives, you can take collaboration efficiency a step further.
Did you find the project management tool for you? Is there a Trello alternative that you use that isn’t mentioned in our list? Please comment below and let us know what you are using for your project management needs and why.
This post was published October 5, 2017, and updated May 2019.