Trello is a great project management system that works for freelancers and corporations alike. Many like the Kanban methodology to stay on task, start project tasks, and plan ahead. But just because it’s popular with the masses, does not always mean it’s the best option for you.
Trello may be very visual and a great planning tool, but some common issues users site are limited functionality beyond task management, too cumbersome for intricate projects with too many sub-tasks and collaborators, and too general for specialized industries. And, if you don’t buy into the Kanban system, you certainly won’t like Trello.
So how do you choose a project management system that is right for you and your business? We’ve put together a list of 10 Trello alternatives to consider. We’ve also included a brief description and what type of user it may work best for. Take a look at our list and see if there is a project management system out there that is a better fit than Trello for your business.We’ve put together a list of 10 Trello alternatives to consider. Check them out here! Click To Tweet
The world’s number 1 roadmap software.
Aha says they are one of the fastest growing U.S. companies and the world’s #1 product roadmap software. They have more than 100,000 users to date. The product works like a flow chart. You input goals and objectives and then these are linked to create a strategy for a project. Then you can visually see what’s required on the project to meet the end goal.
If you are visual person, this company will work well for you. Or if you are a project manager who has several teams working on a single project with developers involved, Aha! integrates with JIRA. Aha! Also provides a workflow board for agile or scrum teams, status controls by feature, and requirement and release Gantt charts.
- Color-coded items
- Ability to drag and drop items
- Capture customer feedback within the system even if a customer is not an Aha user
- Six roadmap templates available
- Plans can be converted into charts for analysis
- Share plans or data via PDF, Intranet or web page
- Record notes from meetings and assign team members to action tasks
- Visual Studio
- And More
Free 30-day trial
- Start-up: Call for pricing: It includes the functionality of the Premium plan, but is limited to a total of five users. See if you qualify as a company.
- Premium: $59 a month per user. Features include: setting strategy, building roadmaps, plan releases, prioritizes features, crowd sourcing ideas, and sharing presentations.
- Enterprise: $99 a month per product owners and contributors. Premium plan features plus: pay only for product owners and contributors, unlimited reviewers, and unlimited viewers.
- Enterprise+: $149 (annually only) a month per product owner and contributor. Enterprise plan features plus: anti-virus scanning, IP address access control, custom tables, account backup and export, advanced license management and concierge service.
Work Smarter Together
Taskworld began in 2006 when Fred Mouawad was struggling to grow some of his companies. He wanted a solution to organize tasks. The result was Taskworld which counts thousands of companies in 80 countries as clients. This system is a collaboration and project management tool in one. It allows teams to focus on performance, track tasks, and add notes to these tasks. It comes with a visual dashboard and interactive timeline for planning projects from start to finish.
Developers or any other field where data needs to be tracked, interrupted and acted upon. Taskworld is ideal for companies where team members are involved in several projects at one time and there is a lot of overlap.
- Create tasks, set due dates, and monitor progress with interactive boards
- Add multiple project locations within one task
- Drag and drop files in a message, comment or task
- Send messages and files to team members directly
- Dashboard is a snapshot of your productivity
- The progress bar shows you how much of a project has been completed
- Project chat lets you start a discussion with all team members
- Google Drive
- Mac OS X Calendar
Solo: $4.99 per user per month.
Teams: $11.50 per user per month. Get everything in solo plan plus multiple assignees, task followers, email replies and more.
Custom: Get a dedicated server. Get everything in team plan plus 16 data centers, unlimited workspaces, unlimited cloud storage and more.
When your marketing projects run smoothly, everyday feels like a holiday.
Brightpod was created by the web technology company, Synage Software Pvt. Ltd. Their platform offers a simple and clean design making the learning curve easy. If you have lots of tasks that need to be organized in one central system, Brightpod accomplishes this easily. Users create and manage projects via Pods. You can customize using colors and progress bars tell you if projects are running on time.
Great for marketing teams or SEO agencies who manage marketing campaigns for others. Also, the layout is ideal for visual and creative types and fields. Plus, this platform works well for content and collaboration management.
- Display lists and tasks as Kanban boards
- Ability to create recurring tasks
- Create workflows for similar projects
- Drag and drop editorial calendar feature
- Focus feature gives the “top action items” for each day
- Me page shows all tasks assigned to you
- Track time by client or project
- Google Drive
- Professional: $29 per month per user. Includes 15 pods, 5 GB storage, 10 users and, more.
- Studio: $69 per month per user. Includes: 45 pods, 20 GB storage, 25 users, and more.
- Agency: $129 per month per user. Includes: unlimited pods, 100 GB storage, 50 users and, more.
- Agency Plus: $199 per month per user. Includes: 500 GB storage, unlimited users, 3 team training sessions, and more.
Solve your project management complications with a simple, yet powerful solution.
Workzone LLC is a privately-owned company located in the U.S. Their project management tool is easy to start using and offers a great platform for document collaboration. You can use Workzone to organize projects by tasks, assign tasks, and notify team members when a task is due. You can also string tasks together to map out and make changes to a project. Workzone creates notifications when tasks are overdue or when a project needs immediate attention.
Ideal for service firms like Universities and hospitals or marketing departments who support internal departments because you can create separate workspaces for each group. It’s also prefect for companies or teams with a lot of “like projects” because you have the ability to create templates for these repeating projects,
- Dedicated project workspaces and personalized to-do lists
- Visualize where projects and tasks are in the process and headed with Gantt Chart
- Combine separate team calendars into one master workflow item
- Share discussions and meeting notes to keep all team members informed
- Add project requests into one easy to use dashboard
- Add up hours by person or team to meet budgets
- See finished tasks and record notes with tasks in progress
- Team: $25 per month per user
- Professional: $34 per month per user: Includes all Team items plus 50 more GB storage and custom project intake forms.
- Enterprise: $44 per month per user: Includes all Professional items plus 50 more GB storage, API Access, Custom Fields, and more.
Learn how Trello integrates with Hubstaff
Screenshots, Activity Levels, Reports, and Payments
Quickly Transform Challenges Into Opportunities
QuickBase is a cloud-based project management system where users can collaborate with team members, clients, associates, and vendors. It’s highly customizable and promotes easy communication within a single platform. It also offers time tracking capabilities for a complete view of the project’s time management. Features include personalized to-do lists, highlighting tasks assigned, and notifying users of deadlines and project statuses.
This system works as a series of apps so it’s easy to customize for niche markets. It’s also great for companies who need to track and organize large amounts of customer information like real estate or healthcare companies.
- Task management apps allow you to create custom roles and permissions so you can choose which team members see which tasks
- Project management apps let you manage multiple projects from one central location
- Sales apps provide tools for managing customer relationships
- Human resource apps give you a calendar to manage vacation schedules
- Customer support apps help manage new contacts to convert to company relationships
- Advanced functionality apps create audit logs on an individual field
- Other apps offer specific functions like keeping track of contracts until their expiration dates
- Google Docs
- And more
30-day free trial
Essential: $15 per month per user. Starts at 10 users and up to 10 apps.
Premier: $25 per month per user. Starts at 20 users and up to 50 apps.
Platform: $40 per month per user. Starts at 40 users and up to 100 apps.
Create beautiful roadmaps quickly
Roadmunk started out of need for their company to plan and collaborate on projects. They felt there was nothing like this in the marketplace. Basically, Roadmunk is roadmapping for product development, but it can also be used to manage projects from start to finish. You plot project tasks on a roadmap versus on a board like other project management systems. Then you can take this roapmap and view the same data in several different views. This system is extremely flexible and offers several roapmap templates to fit different needs or industries.
Great for product developers. Also, ideal for companies who have stakeholders or outside customers where you need buy-in.
- Choose from several different roadmapping views
- Tailor your roapmap to any audience by creating custom visualizations
- Drag and drop for easy editing to plans
- Highlight achievements and/or dates by adding milestones
- Attach files easily to any roadmap
- Give three permission levels: owner, collaborator or reviewer
- Show each stakeholder or customer what’s important by creating different versions using the same data
Free 14-day trial
- Starter: $19 per user per month
- Business: $49 per user per month: Everything in Starter plan plus JIRA integration, custom color palettes, master roadmapping, and more.
- Professional: $99 per user per month: Everything in Business plan plus single sign on integration, designated CSM, and complimentary training and support.
- Enterprise: Contact sales for pricing. Everything in Professional plan plus unlimited reviewers, custom terms and conditions, private cloud, and advanced customization.
Moving Projects Forward
Paymo is an easy project management app that includes a community of over 100,000 users in 50 countries utilizing multiple languages and a single process. It provides task management, time tracking, and invoicing. The main features include helping teams collaborate, timesheet management, project accounting, and allowing you to manage projects from start to finish. Specifically, you can split projects into task lists and assign them to your employees or co-workers, keep the teams up-to-date with what’s happening through discussions, and create customizable static and live reports for tracking business performance.
Paymo works great for freelancers because of the ability to track time, projects, and invoices all from one system. Plus, projects can be put on hold if waiting for feedback from a client before continuing. And if clients require different invoicing options, Paymo provides a flexible format for keeping track of all these methods within a single system.
- Store files for a project so the team can access them anytime throughout that project lifecycle
- See on the screen potential bottlenecks and how to reduce these per project
- Keep track of time spent on activities and allocate that time per project
- Track expenses, generate price quotes, and invoices per client and get paid online
- Using milestones, your team or you know when major project stages are due to be completed
- Save projects as templates and use them when you need to create a similar project
- Available Gantt charts give you an overview of the start date, duration, and end date between tasks
- Google Apps G Suite
- RESTful API
- Excel and PDF Export
15-day free trial
One plan, everything included $14.95 per month per user
Learn how Trello integrates with Hubstaff
Easily track how long workers spend on different cards.
Create your online database and manage deals, projects, and more your way.
Fusioo takes away the need for multiple tools to manage your team’s workflow. It’s an online database that helps you customize your workspace and manage the information that matters most to your team with one tool. There’s no coding or database knowledge required to start using Fusioo. Some features include collecting, tracking, and managing customer data and customizing the application for a variety of purposes. You can collaborate with both internal and external audiences within a secure system. It’s also affordable enough for single users.
Fusioo is ideal for freelancers, consultants, professional service firms, start-ups, and small to mid-sized companies. Really it’s ideal for any companies or individuals who have no or limited IT staff will benefit from this project management system.
- Application builder to define what’s needed to track and manage projects
- Simple interface for choosing fields for every project, task, ticket or any other type of record
- Create your own or use preexisting templates to create project management flow
- Modify and edit projects easily by any team member
- Internal teams, clients or external partners can be configured as Lite Users, allowing all to view and comment on records for real-time communication and collaboration
- Set roles and permissions
- Database backups done hourly
14-day free trial
$19 per user per month
Your workflows structured & smarter
Some project management systems are fixed and may be too rigid for certain industries. Podio, on the other hand, allows users to create their own tools and customize their dashboard. You can select from several apps to tailor your system to your business needs. Or, if you are skilled enough, build your own from the tools they provide. (So far, users have built over a million custom apps.) Users can track progress on several projects, see what tasks are assigned to them within projects, and what edits have been made to projects while in progress.
This Podio flexibility works for large established companies and start-ups alike. For new companies especially, the non-static approach allows for future growth. Since users can create their own apps, this works well for developers and software companies who have the technical skill set to create custom apps.
- Attach files, view the status and add comments to any project
- Choose project view from simple tables to card boards
- Include images for designs, photographs, and screenshots
- Record project budgets for easy tracking
- Embed Google Maps into app items to record and display locations
- Set responsibilities for team members or record details of external contacts
- Google Drive
- And more
Basic: $9 per user per month: task management, unlimited external users, and user management
Plus: $14 per user per month: All Basic features plus read-only access, automated workflows, and light user role
Premium: $24 per user per month: All Plus features plus advanced workflow, advanced mobile forms, interactive sales dashboards, and more.
Enterprise: Contact sales for pricing: All Premium features plus priority support and training, unlimited e-signature and document sending, and encrypted file sharing.
Collect user feedback and track bugs
Usersnap simplifies bug tracking, issue management, and makes communication collaboration faster between developers, clients, and quality assurance team members. Although this project management system is primarily used for bug tracking, it can also be used for project management especially when it comes to web development. For example, when creating a new webpage, a project can be added to Usersnap connecting marketing to development to quality assurance teams. Collaboration becomes easy all in a single platform.
Geared toward IT teams, developers, and anyone who deals with technical company issues. It can be used by all sizes of companies because it consolidates the need for multiple applications.
- Point and click issue reporting
- Feedback widget allows users and developers to send bug reports directly from the company website
- In-browser screenshots of what your customers see
- Invite team members to discuss screenshots and find solutions
- Can customize to match corporate branding
- Feedback on design drafts and website prototypes with team members
- And more
Free 15-day trial
- Startup: $69 per month per user: Up to 10 users and 3 projects
- Company: $129 per month per user: Up to 15 users and 10 projects: Plus customer care integrations
- Company Plus: $329 per month per user: 15+ users and 10+ projects: Plus ultra fast CDN and unlimited page views
- Enterprise: Contact for pricing: 15+ users and 10+ projects: Plus white labeling, data export, and more.
Any Trello alternatives we’ve missed?
There are several project management systems available today. It depends on what you need, what integrations if any you require, and what budget you have. We’ve compiled many alternatives to Trello, but we know there are more available.
Do you use a Trello alternative? Either one we have mentioned or one we have not? Please comment below and let us know what you are using for your project management needs and why.